Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Monday June 24: Long training

Danielle:

The chilly morning breeze blowing in through my cracked window made me extremely reluctant to leave the warmth and comfort of the hotel bed. Not even my persistent alarm clock was enough to get me up. Thankfully my roommate was kind enough to jumpstart my day by threatening to take my warm sheets away from me. I opted for getting up myself and we went down to breakfast together.

It was colder today than it has been all trip and after winding our way through the twisting roads of the Czech Republic to get to the morning's training location, it began to rain. This didn't bother me in the slightest since I come from the Seattle area where rain is a frequent occurrence at local orienteering meets. But unlike Western Washington, the woods of the Czech Republic are open and devoid of any underbrush that might trip you. It's unfortunate that such easy to run in woods had to be located on top of a network fo steep spurs and re-entrants. These hills made for interesting route choices involving a direct path that had you climbing and dropping numerous contours or the long way around that avoided unnecessary hill combing.

I felt very strong during today's training. The contours were easy to read even if they were hard to climb. There was a large logging road that wasn't mapped that caused me some confusion but beyond that I ran a fairly solid course. Afterwards we got changed into dry clothes and headed back to the hotel for a late lunch.

We ended the day with a rowdy game of Word Bandit.

1 comment:

Mary Jo said...

It's nice to hear your description of the terrain and how the rain affects you due to your experience living where you do. I hope you are learning a lot and enjoying the whole experience.