Sunday, June 29, 2014

Countdown to WOC! Relaxation + pre-jetlagging.

For the record, moving out of one's apartment 1.5 weeks before WOC is not the best idea, because moving = stressful! But, I'm now happily recovering and relaxing up on a lake in Canada with my family before making my way to Italy next week. The name of the game now is just to rest with only easy training, visualize and study maps!

The Venice maps look awesome, I'm so excited to race there in just a few days. And I'm also very happy to have a sense of what the middle and long terrain looks like from my early trip to the region right after going to TioMila as part of CSU's team in the spring. My impressions then were that the long maps weren't so different from what we're used to in the Northeast of the USA, with rocky, hilly terrain and mixed forest. The middle terrain, however, was much more extreme, with both regions of very small-scale features and then the trenches! It reminded me most of the limestone-y terrain of France WOC 2012, although with less dense vegetation.

Since I'm not arriving to Italy much before the races this year, I'm on a plan to pre-jetlag myself, waking up 20 minutes earlier each day before I leave. Hopefully this makes it easier to adjust timezones upon arrival!

No comments: